[MCOH-EH] Infection Control and Lab Safety for handling surgical specimens that may contain M. tuberculosis or other mycobacteria

Michael Sauri, MD, MPH&TM, FACP, FACPM msauri at ohcmd.com
Sat Sep 21 16:54:32 PDT 2024

Dr. Galaid,

I would recommend the following USPHS guidance for answers to your infection
control questions concerning the handling of suspected
tuberculosis-containing specimens in the laboratory.

Guidelines for Preventing the Transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in
Health-Care Settings, 2005; Prepared by Paul A. Jensen, PhD, Lauren A.
Lambert, MPH, Michael F. Iademarco, MD, Renee Ridzon, MD

Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB
Prevention;  MMWR, Recommendations and Reports; December 30, 2005 / 54
(RR17); pp 1-141.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5417a1.htm

Sincerely,

Michael