I just had the conversation about this with my boss 5 minutes ago.
When I researched this last year, I could find nothing.
Our facility participates in Truven reporting.
2015 data report from Truven identified the following:
· Sample size of 31 -37 facilities reporting
· Of those reporting, the data noted:
o Average 9,588 visits to EHS
o Average EHS FTE is 2.42
o Average paid employees 1,745 covered by EHS
Now a simple breakdown and analysis demonstrates to anyone with some data savvy that this information cannot possibly be accurate-much less for determining staffing levels per patient visit.
Moreover, the determinants for reporting the data and ‘case’ definition for what constitutes a ‘visit’ were not provided for those of us doing the reporting.
So I think the data is VERY sketchy but our finance department is focusing on the fact that we have 3.12 FTEs and only have ½ the number of visits of the ‘average’ facility in the Truven report.
To try to increase ONE FTE I have produced significant justification over the last year:
· productivity data by visit type,
· time studies by type of visit,
· data on # of phone calls and
· total minutes of phone work per month (we have a computerized phone system that produces that data for us in one 5 minute request)
· record keeping and required reporting time data
· administrative time including
o policy revision
o staff ed and orientation
o personnel task by administrator
o finance processes
· Documentation of potential for patient care, financial and documentation errors AND increased risk to organization and employees r/t poor staffing level
· Staff burnout concerns
· etc etc etc
All to no avail.
I look forward to others thoughts.
Deborah A. Sampson, PhD, APRN, COHN-S, FAANP
Employee Health and Wellness Services
Southern New Hampshire Health P.O.Box 2014 8 Prospect Street Nashua, NH 03060
p(603) 281-8583 f (603) 577-5665
I am making an inquiry about EH Staffing and hope to learn what others are doing. I have a sense we are understaffed and have been asked to find out if there is a standard or guideline. Please share with me your staffing pattern and whether or not there is any staffing guidance.
· 1400 Employees students, contractors = EH Staffing – 1 RN
Lisa Boruff RN, MSN, CIC
Infection Prevention and Control Specialist, Supervisor
Phoenix Indian Medical Center
4212 N 16th St.,
Phoenix, AZ 85016