[CASL-L] Author Visit Input

Alexandra Grundt aegrundt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 14:32:25 PST 2019

Hi Everyone,

I am thrilled that my school will be hosting Rob Buyea for an author visit
in April! It’ll be my first time organizing this type of event.  My
Principal had a concern/question that I’d love to get input on.

We are a grade 5-8 middle school. Many 5th and 6th grade students read
Rob’s books and love them! Rob will start the visit with a one-hour
presentation that includes a PowerPoint and a question and answer session.
I had envisioned this as a school-wide assembly, but some members of my
school are concerned that 7th and 8th graders may not be as engaged as the 5
th and 6th graders. Has anyone hosted him before that can provide some
information?

 I’m going to make the argument that it’s an opportunity for students to
see a Master Author discuss his craft. His books promote empathy and
challenge readers to view events from multiple points of view, something
we’re always trying to promote and work on in middle school.

Thank you!

Allie Johnston

Har-Bur Middle School Library

Burlington, CT