[CASL-L] Fwd: AASL Chapters Forum : You're Invited to a Freedom to Read Statement Listening Session on October 25th at 6:00 PM CST!

Barbara Johnson bajohnson at colchesterct.org
Sun Oct 8 18:56:35 PDT 2023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Cathi Fuhrman via ALA Connect <Mail at connectedcommunity.org>
Date: Sat, Oct 7, 2023, 4:41 PM
Subject: AASL Chapters Forum : You're Invited to a Freedom to Read
Statement Listening Session on October 25th at 6:00 PM CST!
To: <bajohnson at colchesterct.org>

Please see this message below from Courtney Pentland, AASL President. I
would like to personally invite all school librarians to attend a...
-posted to the "AASL Chapters Forum" community
[image: American Library Association] <https://connect.ala.org>
AASL Chapters Forum
<https://connect.ala.org/aasl/communities/community-home/digestviewer?CommunityKey=d7806f89-3ab8-4b20-b69a-e0de860e021e>
You're Invited to a Freedom to Read Statement Listening Session on October
25th at 6:00 PM CST!
<https://connect.ala.org/aasl/discussion/youre-invited-to-a-freedom-to-read-statement-listening-session-on-october-25th-at-600-pm-cst#bm32201ca6-10cf-469e-bffb-63741cf631d8>
Email a reply to the discussion
<ALA_aaslaffiliateassembly_32201ca6-10cf-469e-bffb-63741cf631d8 at ConnectedCommunity.org?subject=Re:+You're+Invited+to+a+Freedom+to+Read+Statement+Listening+Session+on+October+25th+at+6:00+PM+CST!>
Send
a private message via email
<cathifuhrman at gmail.com?subject=Re:+You're+Invited+to+a+Freedom+to+Read+Statement+Listening+Session+on+October+25th+at+6:00+PM+CST!>
[image: Cathi Fuhrman]
<https://connect.ala.org/network/members/profile?UserKey=85154a3b-7b6c-4bde-8e46-cc2744a6492c>
Oct 7, 2023 3:42 PM
Cathi Fuhrman
<https://connect.ala.org/network/members/profile?UserKey=85154a3b-7b6c-4bde-8e46-cc2744a6492c>

Please see this message below from Courtney Pentland, AASL President.

I would like to personally invite all school librarians to attend a Freedom
to Read Statement Listening Session on October 25th at 6:00 PM CST.

You may have seen other listening sessions advertised
<https://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2023/09/ala-announces-listening-sessions-revising-freedom-read-statement>
 that are taking place from late September through October 25th. As all of
these occur during the school day, I asked for a session to happen during
the evening in the hopes that more school librarians would be able to
attend live and provide their input.

Please consider registering for this event at 6:00 PM CST on October 25th.
We hope to provide a recording and an opportunity to supply written
feedback for those not able to attend live. You can register here
<https://ala-events.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_fUdJYZrTRoKiE8bnj-GvYQ>.

The Freedom to Read Statement is the best known of ALA's documents
supporting the principles of intellectual freedom as embodied in the
Library Bill of Rights. The Intellectual Freedom Committee is conducting a
review of the document. During this virtual session, attendees should plan
to share their thoughts on how well the current statement addresses these
themes and what changes may need to be made to the statement. The
discussion will focus on big picture ideas, rather than wordsmithing the
statement. This session will also include a brief overview of what the
Freedom to Read Statement is and how it has been revised in the past.

Thank you!

Courtney Pentland

2023-24 AASL President

Cathi Fuhrman ,Ed.D.
AASL Director at Large, Chapters
PSLA Past President
from this community discussion, go to Unsubscribe
<http://connect.ala.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=c4c93e0e-b250-4655-938c-2f2f0d569d08&sKey=b597e4d94f3e46978492&GroupKey=6ac0ecc8-1f7b-4c05-9d83-89a5e256ddc1>
.

--
Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in transmission
or misdirected. Please communicate sensitive information by telephone or in