[MCOH-EH] Management Structure for Employee Health

Tara Dockery tdockery at oceanbeachhospital.com
Thu Jan 12 18:59:05 PST 2017

Gigi-

I am a Medical Technologist, but have had 10 years' experience in the Infection Control realm, which often has a gray area with Employee Health. Prior to this position I had done consulting and procedure writing for a hospital that included BBP, Vaccine screening, Influenza Policies, and on the job exposure policy revamping.  I have been in my current position over 6 months, and they do have the employees report to me.  I do health screens for new hires, do exposures, injuries, statistics on sick calls, Vaccine compliance etc. When it comes to giving vaccines my counterpart RN works next door in the Education and if she is here she gives the Vaccines, or backup from our Risk Manager who used to formerly do employee health, and when we had the vaccine refrigerator temperature fail and the vaccines were kept in the Pharmacy next to the nurses station, we had the nurses there give vaccine if they had a free moment.

I don't know of any challenges other than the usual - some staff does not call and report illnesses to me, on the job injuries are not reported in a timely manner, new employees that you know would not get through their vocational schooling without proper vaccines come without documentation. But I do believe none of these challenges would exist if I was an RN, or the Pope for that matter!

Tara

Tara Lee Dockery, IP, MT(ASCP), BS
Infection Prevention and Employee Health Manager

Ocean Beach Hospital and Clinics
174 First Avenue North
Ilwaco, Washington 98624

tdockery at oceanbeachhospital.com