[MCOH-EH] [External] EPIC

Dr Joe Fanucchi drjoe at meditrax.com
Wed Jan 18 17:17:49 PST 2017

On 1/18/2017 1:56 PM, [name redacted] wrote:

> We are using Cerner as our EMR for Employee Health.  We ended up using
> a one lifetime encounter for our EH visits and our WC creates a new
> encounter for each injury/illness based on DOI.  WC then discharges
> them when the case is closed, although she does have the ability to
> re-open it, if needed.
>
> We are able to share information on immunizations throughout the
> system, so for flu, if you got it at the MD’s office we could see it
> and if EH adm the vaccine, the MD’s office can see it.

Colleagues,

This is an excellent example of what I noted in a post just a few
minutes ago regarding HIPAA compliance. If you store PHI in a database
such as Cerner, it is almost always available to anyone who can log into
Cerner. Although most employees may not care if a nursing supervisor
knows they got the flu vaccine, others may be a little sensitive about
their Hep B (or Hep C, or HIV) titers being readily available to
coworkers -- including their ex who works in the pediatric nursery. Our
legal advisors confirm this could open up the hospital to a potentially
costly EEOC lawsuit.

You should ALWAYS check with your HIPAA compliance officer before
storing PHI in an electronic database which is widely accessible.

Regards,

Joe Fanucchi

--
*Joe Fanucchi MD FACOEM*