[MCOH-EH] Influenza and Pertussis exposure management

Amy Behrman behrman at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 20 07:22:12 PST 2017

Hi all -

For us, post exposure medications for workplace events, if clinically indicated, are covered by us unless the HCW prefers to see their own provider.  In general, we provide prophylaxis for clinically significant pertussis exposures regardless of vaccine status, whereas the decision for influenza antivirals can be more dependent on circumstances (vaccine match with circulating strains, medical risk factors in exposed staff, extent of exposure, etc).  Symptomatic staff are tested, furloughed and treated under WC if clinically appropriate.

Amy J Behrman, MD
Medical Director, Occupational Medicine
Department of Emergency Medicine
University of Pennsylvania Health System
3400 Spruce St. Philadelphia, PA 19104