[MCOH-EH] Vanish Point needle/syringe sets

Lisa Dyrdahl Lisa_Dyrdahl at Valleymed.org
Wed Feb 22 14:00:37 PST 2017

We have used these since 2004 and they do eliminate needlesticks when used appropriately.  The problem is the Vanishpoint cannot be used for all procedures, it is only for 1 time use, IM, SQ or ID injection.  We do have the IV team use them for SQ Lidocaine but they have not gained any acceptance by the OR where they give lido block injections.

You have to have another safety needle system in place for prefilled syringes, for filter needle use and repeated block injections.

It is by far the best retractable system available.  When we had problems getting our staff to accept the Vanishpoint because of needle sharpness, concern about retracting in the skin and hurting the patient, etc.  I brought in another retractable product to trial.  At first staff loved it, then I was told I needed to remove it because it had so many problems with leaking at the hub, slower retraction and inability to retract in the skin.

I evaluate every needle stick to be sure the Vanishpoint is always used when it can be, this is the only way I know of to get to Zero.

Lisa Dyrdahl, RN, BSN
Employee Health Nurse
Lisa_Dyrdahl at Valleymed.org<mailto:Lisa_Dyrdahl at Valleymed.org>
Ph: 425-228-3440 X5720
Fax: 425-656-5066

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces+lisa_dyrdahl=valleymed.org at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Galaid Edward I
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 8:49 AM
To: mcoh-eh at mylist.net
Subject: [MCOH-EH] Vanish Point needle/syringe sets

We took a look at the Vanish Point needle/syringe sets yesterday.  Seems to be a promising way to reduce needlesticks.  Nurse mgrs who looked at them liked them, except for their IV setup.
Most of their products involve a springloaded retractor or other mechanism that pulls the needle back into the barrel of the syringe.  They have many sizes, including insulin and tuberculin.
Sales rep said that hospitals that have used their products have had substantial reductions in their BBFEs.
He dropped a bunch of names of health systems currently using the Vanish Point products but wondering if anyone who is on the List has had any experience with them.

Thanks

Ed Galaid

Edward I. Galaid, MD, MPH
ABIM, ABPM (Occ Med, PH&GPM)
Medical Director, Occupational Health Partners
Roper St. Francis Healthcare   Charleston, SC
Member, ACOEM Task Group on Medical Guidance for Law Enforcement Officers

Our Mission: Healing all people with compassion, faith and excellence.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including
any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipients and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
destroy all copies of the original message. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is
prohibited. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender then delete this message.