[CASL-L] RE: A hard day

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 16 10:03:20 PST 2012

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Sara Kelly Johns <skjohns at gmail.com>
To: aaslforum at ala.org
Sent: Sat, December 15, 2012 4:39:36 PM
Subject: [aaslforum] Re: RE: RE: A hard day

Here is good, common sense advice that was sent out to our school by a
counselor.

Helping Kids During Crisis
• Try and keep routines as normal as possible. Kids gain security from the
predictability of routine, including attending school.

• Limit exposure to television and the news.

• Be honest with kids and share with them as much information as they are
developmentally able to handle.

• Listen to kids’ fears and concerns.

• Reassure kids that the world is a good place to be, but that there are people
who do bad things.

• Parents and adults need to first deal with and assess their own responses to
crisis and stress.

• Rebuild and reaffirm attachments and relationships.
(Source: American School Counselor Association, 12/14/12)

Sara

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Sara Kelly Johns <skjohns at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for those resources, Paige and Hilda. It would be great if others would
post the "good stuff" you find.

>The school librarian was quoted today in the New York Times. From page 2:"Yvonne
>Cech, a school librarian, said she had spent 45 minutes locked in  a closet with
>two library clerks, a library catalog assistant and 18  fourth graders."
>

>Monday will be a tough day in our schools.
>
>All the best, Sara
>

>On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Jaeger, Paige <pjaeger at wswheboces.org> wrote:
>
>On today's blog post, I suggest a Biography Unit to examine "Legacies Left
>Behind" -- A unit such as this could be a response to help students understand
>how every life has an impact -- what impact will your life have?
>>
>>For those who are interested--here's a suggested Inquiry approach to "react" to
>>this travesty.
>>
>>http://librarydoor.blogspot.com/2012/12/forensic-footprints-after-shooting.html

>> Paige Jaeger

Program