[CASL-L] Kindles & Wi-Fi Access

Yulo-medeiros, Julie jyulo at cromwell.k12.ct.us
Fri Jan 6 07:28:05 PST 2012

Happy New Year!

My district's assistant superintendent purchased 50 Kindles. We don't have them up and running yet because the IT department it trying to figure out how to set them up. We have the Kindle Keyboard with Wi-Fi and that's the problem. Even though each of our buildings have Wi-Fi only IT and administrators have access to it. So the problem is how do we purchase books and allow student access?

Here are some questions I would love to have answers to. If you can help with the answers... Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

*         How was your IT department involved with getting your Kindles set-up?

*         What solution did IT use for providing Kindles to the students?

*         How are you downloading eBooks on to your Kindles?

*         Do you have Wi-Fi access?

*         Do students have Wi-Fi access?

*         Are you able to turn-off the Wi-Fi access to students on the Kindle but have it available to you?

*         Any other thoughts or comments???

BTW - If you haven't seen Buffy Hamilton's site about Kindles it is amazing and very helpful. The page is called Kindles at The Unquiet Library and has documents you can use with your own school to get your eReaders up and running. I've included that page and several other below because I know many of you are developing eReader programs too.

  *   Unquiet Library <http://theunquietlibrary.libguides.com/kindles>
Kindles Page - Tons of Info
http://theunquietlibrary.libguides.com/kindles

  *   Edu Kindle<http://www.edukindle.com/>[Description: move up]<http://my.portaportal.com/EditItem.php?aDB=urlUp&p=2612864&s=2>
eReaders for Educators
http://www.edukindle.com/

  *   Edu Kindle Ning<http://edukindle.ning.com/>[Description: move up]<http://my.portaportal.com/EditItem.php?aDB=urlUp&p=2612864&s=3>
Where Educators Go to Learn From One Another
http://edukindle.ning.com/

  *   Adventures of Library Girl<http://lib-girl.blogspot.com/2011/03/hooked-on-ebooks-presentation-for.html>[Description: move up]<http://my.portaportal.com/EditItem.php?aDB=urlUp&p=2612864&s=4>
Hooked on eBooks
http://lib-girl.blogspot.com/2011/03/hooked-on-ebooks-presentation-for.html

  *   eBooks & eReaders for School Library Programs<http://theunquietlibrary.libguides.com/ebooks-ereaders>[Description: move up]<http://my.portaportal.com/EditItem.php?aDB=urlUp&p=2612864&s=5>
http://theunquietlibrary.libguides.com/ebooks-ereaders

  *   Plymouth Regional HS<http://prhslibrary.com/tag/kindles/>[Description: move up]<http://my.portaportal.com/EditItem.php?aDB=urlUp&p=2612864&s=6>
Contact Pam Harland
http://prhslibrary.com/tag/kindles/

  *   Kindle App on Computer<http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=6678015551&ref=pd_sl_c0q9u5y7v_b>[Description: move up]<http://my.portaportal.com/EditItem.php?aDB=urlUp&p=2612864&s=7>
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=6678015551&ref=pd_sl_c0q9u5y7v_b

  *   Paying for eBooks<http://edukindle.ning.com/group/kindleusers/forum/topics/paying-for-kindle-ebooks>[Description: move up]<http://my.portaportal.com/EditItem.php?aDB=urlUp&p=2612864&s=8>
http://edukindle.ning.com/group/kindleusers/forum/topics/paying-for-kindle-ebooks

Thanks again for your answers!