[CASL-L] Cleaning Library Books

Elaine Shapiro elaine.shapiro7 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 07:08:30 PST 2012

Hi Everyone

I have an odd question.  In the elementary school where I work, the
previous librarian began the practice of covering all books (that
don't come with a plastic library cover or Kapco cover) with clear
laminate.  As books were returned, the library aide would wash the
front and back of each book  with a Windex like product and paper
towels.  This practice continues, and the (same) library aide is
absolutely convinced that this practice is worth her time because it
stops the spread of germs.  Does anyone out there do this? Does anyone
know anything about germs and library books?

Elaine Shapiro
Broad Brook Elementary School
Broad Brook CT