[CASL-L] Target: Poetry, the best for Pre-K - 8th gr.

Tichey-Staack, Mary mticheystaack at ridgefield.org
Thu Sep 13 13:48:04 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

  I am collaborating with a colleague on our 3rd one school/one book event.  This time we are exploring poetry and she asked me to recommend award poetry, poetry books and poets for students in each grade from pre-K through 8th.  We are thinking something fun for the youngest through 5th, and then some thought provoking poetry for 6th through 8th graders.

     One of my first thoughts were Mother Goose or Sandra Boyton's books for the youngest ones.  And I know how fun Shel Silverstein , Calef Brown, Jack Prelutsky, and Edward Lear always are, but do you have favorites I may have not heard of or forgotten?  I am also thinking that for second and third graders the series by Mary Ann Hoberman of cooperative reading poems "You Read to Me, I'll Read to You... etc". lends itself to many opportunities of paired and group activities. Or maybe Valerie Worth's short poems for the younger ones since they are simple and memorable, do you agree?

My other thought on 4th - 8th grades are possibly using novels in verse form, do you recommend any?

Any and all suggestions are most welcome and appreciated, and I'll provide a hit at the end.
Thank you in advance,

Mary Tichey-Staack, Teacher-Librarian
Branchville Elementary
40 Florida Road