[CASL-L] May 2013 State Library CE Workshops

Abery, Kris Kris.Abery at ct.gov
Mon Apr 8 09:34:51 PDT 2013

The following Continuing Education workshops have been scheduled for May 2013. To register access the Continuing Education Calendar of Events @ http://evanced.info/cslib/evanced/eventcalendar.asp

Intermediate PC Maintenance - Thurs., May 9th (WLSC)
No matter how new your computer is, many times it seems to run slower than the old computer it's replacing. Much of this is due to free demo software that come pre-installed on your brand new machine. In this half-day workshop, we'll investigate the various methods available for weeding through software. We'll discuss how to identify software that is useful, unnecessary, or even problematic and the proper methods for removing it safely from your computer. Some of the tools we will cover are the Systems Configuration Utility, Autorun, CCleaner, Recuva, as well as starting your PC in 'Safe Mode'.

Open Source Spotlight: Edit Photos For Free With GIMP - Thurs., May 9th (WLSC)
Every library has a camera for taking pictures of events and programs. Unfortunately, not all photos are perfect and may require retouching. Thankfully GIMP is a great image editing creation tool available to us for FREE. There is no need to purchase expensive software. GIMP has the tools necessary to cleaning up those images and getting them ready for email, print and publishing on our websites, blogs and Facebook pages. In this workshop, we'll cover tools for cutting, resizing, cropping, touch-ups, and adding filters to modify images or create new graphics from scratch.

Basic PC Maintenance - Tues., May 14th (MLSC)
We use computers daily, but do we understand what happens inside our PCs the moment you press the round button? Knowing the basic processes of a computer will help you better maintain and trouble shoot it. In this hands-on workshop we'll learn some simple tips to keep your PC running longer and faster.

This workshop will cover:
*The internal components of a computer,
*Concepts such as software, hardware, Operating Systems, & Drivers
*Preventative maintenance
*Physical maintenance
*Defragging your PC
*Backup methods
*PC security

Advanced Excel 2010 - Wed., May 15th (MLSC)
In this workshop you will move beyond the basics and explore more advanced functions, including Today, IF and PMT. You will learn how to name cells and ranges, use those names in formulas and functions. In addition, you will explore the powerful database features of Excel that make it easy to sort, filter and add subtotals

Topics will include:
Creating advanced functions
Naming cells and ranges
Developing formulas using named cells and ranges
Using 3-D functions to calculate across worksheets
Defining absolute and relative references
Creating elapsed time/day formulas
Constructing databases
Sorting, filtering and subtotaling data
Creating pivot tables

**Prerequisite: Basic knowledge of Excel 2010 and Excel formulas is a needed**

Outlook - It's more than Email! - Fri., May 17th (MLSC)
If you think that Outlook is only an email program this class is for you. We'll start with the email features of the program and then explore the Calendar, Contacts, Journal and To Do Lists. You'll become the power user in your library.

At this workshop you will:

*Add options to your email, including voting buttons
*Organizing your mail with folders
*Define auto signatures
*Look at rules for managing spam
*Create meetings and extend electronic invitations
*Define contacts and groups
*Use To Dos and share them with others
*Track entries in the Journal

Kris Abery