[CASL-L] The Virtual Learning Commons Workshop

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 4 12:07:21 PST 2013

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: David loertscher <reader.david at gmail.com>
To: aaslforum at ala.org
Sent: Thu, January 3, 2013 10:54:03 PM
Subject: [aaslforum] The Virtual Learning Commons Workshop

For the past three years, my students, leaders across Canada, and I have been
developing the Virtual Learning Commons as a replacement for the school library
website. This is a giant collaborative that places the school library at the
heart of teaching and learning in the school.

I will be conducting a series of three free workshops that will enable you to
experiment with and create a VLC for your school. And, you will have something
to showcase for Digital Learning Day in Feb.

The  three  ninety minutes sessions will be Jan. 14, 21, and Feb. 4th at five pm
Pacific/eight pm eastern on each of the Monday evenings.

Objective: To create a collaborative virtual learning commons that replaces the
school library website. The site will contain five major  virtual rooms:
	* The Information Center,
	* The Literacy Center,
	* the Knowledge Building Center,
	* The Experimental Learning Center, and
	* School Culture.
We will focus on using Google Sites as the construction tool, but other software
can be used. Participants will  construct either a sandbox prototype or a real
VLC for their school. Opportunities to collaborate across participants will be
the focus.

To sign up, just send an email to me at: reader.daivd at gmail.com

And, I would appreciate it if you would announce this across whatever state
networks you have access to.

The website for the series is building at:
https://sites.google.com/site/virtuallearningcommonsworkshop/

Please join us.
--
Professor David V. Loertscher