[CASL-L] Grant opportunities for teachers, opportunities for students, and other resources

IRENE KWIDZINSKI kwidz at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 9 13:30:51 PDT 2013

FYI

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Sarles Patricia  (18K500) <PSarles at schools.nyc.gov>
To: "aaslforum at ala.org" <aaslforum at ala.org>
Sent: Sat, June 8, 2013 7:02:52 AM
Subject: [aaslforum] SHARE: Grant opportunities for teachers, opportunities for
students, and other resources

Each Saturday morning I send out a list of grant opportunities for teachers,
opportunities for students, and links to other resources that come my way during
the week. Feel free to share these with your teachers:

Grant opportunities for teachers:

$5,000 Teachers' Lounge Makeover:

http://www.teacherlists.com/makeover

"Commercial Nuclear Power Is Experiencing A Resurgence Of Interest As An
Environmentally Sound, Safe And Economically Competitive Means To Meet The
World's Growing Demand For Energy.
Westinghouse Electric Company Is The World's Pioneering Nuclear Power Company
And Is A Leading Supplier Of Nuclear Plant Products And Technologies To
Utilities Throughout The World. As Part Of This Nuclear Renaissance, We Will Be
In Need Of Qualified Leaders For Our Industry In The Future And These Leaders
Are Possibly Some Of Your Students – Those In Middle School And High School. For
That Reason, Westinghouse Electric Company Has Developed The "N-Visioning A
Brighter Future" Grant Program And We Hope That Your School Will Be Interested
In Applying For It. This Grant Is Awarded To Schools That Exhibit Creativity In
Science, Technology And Mathematics Education Of Middle And High School
Students. Five Schools Total (middle And High) Will Be Awarded $1,000 Each For
Any Creative Project Dealing With Energy, Mathematics, Technology Or Science.
The Project Must Be Completed During The 2013-2014 School Year."

http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/docs/n_vision_grant.pdf

"To fund the implementation of The Bowling Foundation’s Youth Bowler’s Ed
In-School program.  This program provides opportunities to teach students the
sport of bowling with instructional curriculum and equipment available to use in
school or other facilities."

http://www.bowlingfoundation.org/

"Wild Ones, a nonprofit environmental education and advocacy organization, is
accepting applications from projects that use native plants to develop and
enhance an appreciation for nature among children and youth. Through the Lorrie
Otto Seeds for Education Fund, grants ranging from $100 to $500 will be awarded
for projects that emphasize the involvement of students and volunteers in all
phases of development. Examples of fundable projects include the establishment
of a native plant community in an educational setting such as an outdoor
classroom, developing and maintaining an interpretive trail landscaped with
native plant communities, and developing a wetland area to study the effect of
native vegetation on water-quality improvement."

http://www.wildones.org/seeds-for-education/sfe/

"This $2,500 grant is intended to honor an outstanding mainstream K-6 teacher
who is working to improve the teaching and learning of reading and writing in a
real-world context across the curriculum. Applicant must be an IRA member."

http://www.reading.org/Resources/AwardsandGrants/teachers_routman.aspx

Web sites:

"This is a wonderful maths puzzle site where players must use + - x or ÷ with a
set of four numbers to equal 24. There are many modes to choose from, including
an easier 'kids' version of the game, timed games and even a battle mode where
you can challenge other people."

http://www.24theory.com/

Targeted Math instruction:

http://www.mathops.com/free/index.php

Math Work Sheet to Go:

http://www.mathworksheetsgo.com/

Links to other resources:

"Social media posts and videos are cropping up in academic publications more and
more. This chart shows just how to cite social media with ease."

http://www.edudemic.com/2013/05/how-to-cite-social-media/

"While there are numerous resources on our website applicable to the junior high
school teacher, the following resources are among the most relevant to
incorporating critical thinking concepts into junior high school curricula."

http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/junior-high-school-teachers-6-9/808

7 Animated GIFs That Will Make You Instantly Understand Trigonometry

http://www.businessinsider.com/7-gifs-trigonometry-sine-cosine-2013-5#ixzz2VcPBICwd

Bloom's Digital Taxonomy:

http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/file/view/bloom%27s+Digital+taxonomy+v3.01.pdf/65720266/bloom%27s%20Digital%20taxonomy%20v3.01.pdf

Something for the math teachers:

"The course is a short intervention designed to change students’ relationships
with math. I have taught this intervention successfully in the past (in
classrooms); it caused students to re-engage successfully with math, taking a
new approach to the subject and their learning."

https://class.stanford.edu/courses/Education/EDUC115N/How_to_Learn_Math/about

CV Template:

http://www.cvtemplate.co.uk/

STEM Camp Resources:

"In an effort to bridge the equality gap, as well as give kids and teachers an
opportunity for some summer excitement, Discovery Education recently announced
that the company is offering its science, technology, engineering, and math
(STEM) summer camp resources for free."

http://www.discoveryeducation.com/STEM/connect-the-dots.cfm?CFID=86779&CFTOKEN=52284931

Web 2.0 Tools:

"Historypin is a way for millions of people to come together to share glimpses
of the past and build up the story of human history."

http://www.historypin.com/

Opportunities for the students:

"What's Your Issue? What's Important To You? Do You See Something Wrong And Want
To Fix It? Today's Issues Are A Reflection Of Decisions We've Made In The Past.
Tomorrow's World Will Be A Reflection Of Our Decisions – And Your Leadership –
Today. Being A Leader Starts With Having An Idea – A Vision For How Things
Should Be – Followed By The Willingness To Take Action And Inspire Others To
Make A Collective Impact. So Take Action, Tell Us Your Ideas, Apply For A Grant
And Use Your Vision To Inspire Your Friends And Others To Work With You. Be A
Leader! Change The World!!"

http://waystohelp.org/

"DoSomething.org is the country’s largest not-for-profit for young people and
social change. We have 1,666,208 members (and counting) who kick ass on causes
they care about. Bullying. Animal cruelty. Homelessness. Cancer. The list goes
on. DoSomething.org spearheads national campaigns so 13- to 25-year-olds can
make an impact - without ever needing money, an adult, or a car. Over 2.4
million people took action through DoSomething.org in 2012. Why? Because apathy
sucks."

http://www.dosomething.org/grants

This program awards students for their afterschool activities. Winners in each
of 4 categories will receive $5,000 each.

http://afterschoolawards.com/

"This contest challenges young builders to design & submit a creative, original
model made entirely from K’NEX parts and are judged on creativity, uniqueness
and detail. The four imaginative children, one winner in each of four age
categories, who win will each receive a prize package valued at $3,650. This
year, grand prize winners will receive the coolest K’NEXpert prize package yet:
$2,500, an iPad Mini, a $250 gift card to Toys “R” Us, and a $500 K’NEX credit
code good toward a shopping spree at knex.com. An additional eight finalists
will each receive a $250 K’NEX credit code good towards a shopping spree at
knex.com, a $100 Toys “R” Us gift card and a K’NEX t-shirt."

http://www.knexperts.com/

"America’s Home Energy Education Challenge inspires student interest in science,
technology, engineering, and math (STEM), while encouraging elementary and
middle school students to make smarter energy choices and save energy at home."

http://www.homeenergychallenge.org/Default.aspx

"The national contest, a new addition to NFL PLAY 60, challenges kids ages 6-13
to develop new ways to stay active and healthy. NFL PLAY 60 and By Kids For Kids
Co (BKFK), a leader in youth innovation competitions, teamed up to create this
contest. The Grand Prize winner will receive $5,000 and an NFL Prize Pack, and
the NFL will work with the winning child to bring their idea to life. The two
runner-ups will each receive $500 and an NFL Prize Pack."

http://www.nflrush.com/INVENT

Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Librarian
Jerome Parker Campus Library
100 Essex Drive
Staten Island, NY 10314
718-370-6900 x1322
psarles at schools.nyc.gov
http://www.scoop.it/t/help-with-the-common-core-state-standards/
http://paper.li/psarles/1332609247

The new power is not money in the hands of a few, but information in the hands
of the many. - John Naisbitt, Megatrends

The Internet may be the world's greatest library, but let's face it - all the
books are scattered on the floor.  - D.C. Denison, Boston Globe

To save man from the morass of propaganda, in my opinion, is one of the chief
aims of education. Education must enable one to sift and weigh evidence, to
discern the true from the false, the real from the unreal, and the facts from
the fiction ... The function of education, therefore, is to teach one to think
intensively and to think critically. - Martin Luther King, Jr. The Purpose of
Education