[CASL-L] help out a grad student?

Crowley, John jcrowley at region9ps.org
Tue Mar 5 09:47:54 PST 2013

This is my 4th year with an advisory group.  The group stays with the same advisor for all 4 years.  What follows is a response to your questions from the director of the program.  I had my 12th graders write an evaluation of Advisory. They were neither positive or neutral.
Dale wrote:
Yes we do have an advisory in place for all students in all grades with the majority of teachers and staff as advisors.  The current Advisory Program involving all staff and all students was initiated 4 years ago, but we have had some form of a 9th Advisory program since 2000.

The Advisory I believe is geared more toward Community, although we do discuss topics related to academics.  The main focus of our advisory is to make sure that every student at JBHS has an adult in the school community with whom they feel a connection.

We are going to be conducting a survey for students and one for faculty to find out their opinion of our Advisory program.  I do feel that this year, we have heard less from the faculty about their frustrations with having to be an advisor as we have provided activities that can be done with the students during each 20 minute Advisory period in case the advisor does not feel comfortable without a set plan.  Activities are optional unless it is an information session about a particular event (CAPT, SATs, etc) that has been requested by administration or a class advisor, etc.

We are finding fewer discipline referrals since full-school Advisory has been initiated.  I personally (as I was charged with initiating the first years of the 9th grade advisory with faculty volunteering to be advisors) find that with the administration taking a strong position that Advisory has to include all students and all staff we hear less complaints from faculty and students.  This has become part of the school culture and hopefully with students who have come into JBHS with this as a part of there regularly scheduled program, we will begin to see Advisory becoming a place where students feel supported by each other and make strong connections.

Dale R. Barcham
School Psychologist
Joel Barlow High School
100 Black Rock Tpke.
Redding, CT 06896

203-938-2508 x 1521<tel:203-938-2508;1521>
203-938-9602<tel:203-938-9602> (FAX)