[CASL-L] Summer reading question

Elaine Lettiere lettieree at prestonschools.org
Thu Sep 26 06:38:10 PDT 2013

Good morning everyone.

I have been reflecting on our summer reading activities at both our
elementary and middle school (PK-8) with an eye on how to improve summer
reading for next summer.  It seems to me that our summer reading reporting
forms tend to be an indicator of whether a family follows the summer
reading directions rather than an indicator of actual reading.  I always
dutifully fill out the Governor's Summer Reading form and fax it to the
state reporting average participation and average number of books read, but
I have no idea if our numbers are typical of other schools.

We have been hovering at about 60% participation over the past couple of
years and I am wondering what other schools average for participation.  If
you report these numbers, would you mind giving a shout out so that I can
get a sense of where we fall compared to other schools.

Thanks.

--
Elaine Lettiere
School Librarian