[CASL-L] NEASC Standards

Yulo-medeiros, Julie jyulo at cromwell.k12.ct.us
Wed Oct 1 10:12:01 PDT 2014

At the present time Cromwell High School is working on their two year report after the NEASC visit (NEASC never ends). I don't remember seeing a specific number of books per student. I've attached a document that might be helpful to you if you haven't already seen it. Plus a link to where I located it on the NEASC site.

https://cpss.neasc.org/getting-started/2011-explanation-standards/school-resources-learning

My recommendation would be to focus on the other bullets more so than that one. The bullet needs to be updated to reflect the move from print books to eBooks and other electronic resources such as databases. NEASC is still using the word CD ROM... I don't even know what that is never mind whether it's in the library collection. CHS's library has been moving away from print versions of non-fiction and reference books for about four years in anticipations of our class of 2018 receiving iPads.

Take advantage of the self-study. This is the time to rethink what you want the library to be over the next several years especially if you want to move towards a learning commons approach and provide more virtual access. Design surveys/questionnaires for the faculty, students and parents that encourages them to see the library and resources as a corner stone to the success of the students at your high school. This data will help you advocate for changes in your library.

One more recommendation. Serve on one of the NEASC committees. I served on the steering committee which helped me see the big picture.

Good luck with your self-study,
Julie

Julie Yulo-Medeiros
School Librarian
Virtual High School Site Coordinator
Cromwell High School
34 Evergreen Road
Cromwell, CT 06416
860.632.4841 Ext: 14830
jyulo at cromwell.k12.ct.us<mailto:jyulo at cromwell.k12.ct.us>

I am currently reading Cody Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein and The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood.