[CASL-L] Elementary Learning Commons: What I've Got So Far

Nancy Shwartz mrs.shorts at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:06:50 PST 2015

Hi everyone,

I received several queries about the books and workshops that I read and
attended about elementary learning commons.

The two books that have been most helpful and practical for me are:

   - *Building a Learning Commons * by Carol Koechlin and others
   - *The Learning Commons: Seven Simple Steps to Transform Your Library* by
   Pamela Harland

The first book I read was *The New Learning Commons: Where Learners Win* by
David Loertscher but I needed something more practical, hence the two
titles above.

Like many of you, I am attending the series of Learning Commons workshops
led by Fran Kompar (who just happens to be my supervisor) at CES and I have
learned a lot from those workshops.

At AASL 16 in Hartford a couple of years ago, I attended an Elementary
Learning Commons session by several teacher librarians from Newton, MA, and
it gave me quite a bit of information.  Their presentation is available
from eCollab on the AASL website.

Slideshare also has some presentations about elementary learning commons,
although you're really just getting the visuals and not the narrative.

I have an Elementary Learning Commons board on Pinterest but I just noticed
that most of the stuff on there is for Makerspaces--another thing that my
principal wants. Here is the link, if you'd like to visit it:
https://www.pinterest.com/mrsshorts/elementary-library-learning-commons/

Hope this helps!

Nancy