[CASL-L] Hour of Code - grades 3-6

Jane Martellino janemartellino at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 13:53:07 PST 2016

If you are looking for ways to deepen participation in Hour of Code, I made
this hyperdoc to use with grades 3-5 but it could be used with 6th as
well.  The opening statement "Hour of Code Matters" served almost like a
QFocus as I led students through the "hook" section.  Then we continued
with the "connect" section.  Since we are 1:1 Chromebooks, students then
took a snapshot of themselves and inserted it into the grid.

I share this doc in view setting with students, but we viewed the short
videos as whole group and had those discussions as prompted in the hook and
connection section.

On the hour of code day, the students will work on the following sections:
Learn a strategy, explore, and reflect again.  The Learn a Strategy is
quick- just a mini lesson.     This is our second year doing an Hour of
Code, so I don't spend time on the basics of what coding is since many of
our students progressed thru code.org last year.  This year, for these age
groups, I want to focus on building and monitoring perseverance.

Feel free to make a copy, revise, discard...whatever.  You will need to
make a copy of the grid if you do that photo piece.

https://goo.gl/05jKK1

Jane

--
Jane E. Martellino