[CASL-L] surveillance cameras

STEPHANIE PATTERSON SPATTERSON at southingtonschools.org
Thu Dec 15 10:17:13 PST 2016

We have several in the library and we have 4 double doors into main corridors with coverage there. They are fairly new. Security monitors them and shares info with admins when needed. It has helped us solve mischief questions outside of the library.

With a library the size of the cafeteria with multiple access points and open access all day, I see the need for them. Students (2000) know they are there and it's a deterrent. They can use phones in here, and given their habits, cameras are more of an issue for my generation. They can't zoom in and spy on what you are looking at and don't interfere with anyone's teaching.

I have often made comments to the effect that my role is teacher librarian not study hall supervisor or security monitor. The cameras are a plus for us.

Stephanie Patterson
Southington High School Library
"Building character with critical thinking, creativity,
 collaboration and communication."