[CASL-L] surveillance cameras

Teri Padua tpadua at nwr7.org
Fri Dec 16 07:12:23 PST 2016

As cameras were being added all over the building, our finance director
asked be if I wanted any covering the 24 computers in the library.  I asked
to think about it and get back to him, only to discover when I came in the
following Monday that they had been installed.  There are two, and they
point from either end onto the 4 banks of computers.  I had the same
concern that you did about total coverage in here.  I was VERY upset, and
let the administration know that installing cameras in a teacher's work
space without their consent constituted a change in working conditions (I'm
also union president.)  They have been careful ever since.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Rocca, Jennifer <roccaj at brookfieldps.org>
wrote:

> Our administration wants to install surveillance cameras in our library.
> I am concerned.  Their proposed placement would allow them to view nearly
> 100% of the library.  I have concerns about students and teachers feeling
> comfortable in their teaching and presenting if they are on camera all of
> the time.
>
> Who else has cameras in their library?  What policies did you
> create/adjust when they were installed  What do the cameras see?  What
> limits did you set for acceptable/unacceptable surveillance?
>
> Suggestions?  Ideas?  Input?
>

> --
>
> Jennifer Rocca
> Brookfield HS Teacher Librarian