[CASL-L] Getting students excited about reading and better utilizing LMC

Eva Longo evalongo77 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 08:07:45 PDT 2016

Good morning colleagues and happy summer to you allJ

I was happy to find out that next year my SLO can center around getting
more kids into the LMC-

My primary supervisor says I can use a variety of Destiny statistics and
the student sign in sheets for evidence in order to fulfill my IAGDs.

I’d love to hear from you all as to what you’ve done in your own LMC to
make this a reality, or even something that you are thinking about
implementing in the near future.   Whether it be from contests you have
successfully run, whole school literacy based events, lunch groups, getting
classes coming down to check out books, students coming into the lmc from
study hall, classes coming in for research, etc.…

Currently, my middle school library serves students in grades 6-8 and our
student population is typically about 1,000 students/year.

I’ve already reached out to some of my colleagues from other districts and
they’ve shared some great ideas with me.  Leslie Poulos, the LMS at Silas
Deane Middle, has inspired me to start a Literary Committee whose main
function is to promote literacy through school wide events.

One of the things I already do to promote school wide literacy is host our
annual Scholastic book fair.

Some other ideas that I received from Leslie, who chairs the literacy
committee in her school, include:

·         trivia contents based on books we own that are being released as
movies (for example, Mockingjay, Part 2 trivia)

·         Battle of the 2017 Teen Nutmeg Books

·         Author visits, or skyping visits with authors

·         Teen and Intermediate Nutmeg Voting (I do this here in my LMC
during the month of April, but I would like to work with the newly formed
committee to have it more heavily promoted within classrooms)

·         Nutmeg Luncheon

·         Hot Cocoa Café in the LMC after school (Drop Everything and Read)

Again, if you run any events in your library that you have found to be
successful/create excitement, whether it involve a small portion of your
school population or the entire school population, I’d love to hear from
you.

I would be more than happy to share out all the great ideas I receive.

Thanks again for your time and I wish you all a happy and healthy summerJ