[CASL-L] PD with your teachers?

Cathy Andronik cathyandronik at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 08:14:04 PST 2016

One of my favorite PDs is an App Playground Day.  I take over my library computer lab for an entire day (which is getting easier now we have chromebook carts).  I register myself for ten educational apps and have them running on the lab computers in "pods" of two or three (since I love to see people of any age teaching each other).  I take care of the registration because it's time consuming and takes time away from teachers actually exploring the app itself.  Some of the apps I've included are Powtoon, Haiku Deck, Padlet, Tagxedo and Wordle, Quizlet, Thinglink, Edpuzzle, Duolingo, and Historypin.  I usually have one machine logged into Edshelf as well, since that's my go-to for the latest and coolest stuff.  And I just invite teachers to stop in during their preps or lunch to "play" and discover while I make myself available for questions.   It's easy, it's go-at-your-own-pace, it's non-threatening for our tech newbies, it's got lots of choice.  I've also adapted into a student version I call App Speed Dating.

Cathy Andronik
Teacher Librarian
Brien McMahon High School
Norwalk