[CASL-L] [Shared Post] Robbing Peter to Pay Paul

Dawn Zillich dzillich at spchs.com
Mon May 9 09:10:10 PDT 2016

Until this school year, I had assigned study halls. I have mixed emotions
about this because I loved having a "captive audience" to advertise,
survey, teach, advise and/or reach out to students who may not have
wondered into the library on their own. The downside was a lack of
curriculum, so it was mostly students being forced to do their homework or
sit quietly for a period. Those of you who still have to pinch hit could
use this as a teaching moment. Try getting students involved (shelve a
book or better yet have students pick their favorite book for a display).
Hold a library scavenger hunt just for fun. If you know in advance that
you will cover for a teacher, collaborate with that teacher and coach
students on a skill that will connect to an assignment or group of
students.

Sometimes we are given opportunities but only see a burden; missing out on
a chance to reach a patron that may really need you, your skills or the
library itself.

Apologies if this hits a sore spot with anyone; just like to stay positive
and look for the silver lining when I can.

Peace,

Dawn M. Zillich, librarian
St. Paul Catholic High School
"The old idea of the librarian as a sort of recluse closeted with his
books and
interested only in them is the very antithesis of the modern librarian,
who
must live with people equally with books, and who must also be keenly
aware
of all that is going on in the world around him."

~Linda A. Eastman~ (Head Librarian of the Cleveland Public Library, 1918
to 1938)