[CASL-L] Fwd: [aaslforum] Jaffarian Award announcement

Shelley Stedman slstedman at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 7 04:49:57 PST 2017

ALA members:  Do you have a humanities program that qualifies for this award?  Apply now, and you may win $5000!

Begin forwarded message:
From: "Cassandra Barnett (ADE)" <Cassandra.Barnett at arkansas.gov<mailto:Cassandra.Barnett at arkansas.gov>>
Subject: [aaslforum] FW: Jaffarian Award announcement
Date: February 6, 2017 at 9:26:03 PM EST
To: "aaslforum at lists.ala.org<mailto:aaslforum at lists.ala.org>" <aaslforum at lists.ala.org<mailto:aaslforum at lists.ala.org>>

Dear colleagues,

Did you know the American Library Association (ALA) offers an annual $5,000 award to recognize K-8 libraries for excellent student programming in humanities fields, such as social studies, poetry, drama, art, foreign language and culture?

This year, I'm part of the awards committee for the Sara Jaffarian School Library Program Award, and I'm writing to encourage you to apply.

Previous winning programs have taught K-8 students about the civil rights movement; explored students’ family histories; and used fairy tales to teach kids about global studies.

Applications for the 2017 Jaffarian Award are being accepted now; the deadline is May 5. Nominated programs must have taken place during this school year (2016-17). If your program will still be in progress as of May 5, you are still eligible.

Please visit http://ala.org/jaffarian to learn more and to start your online application, and feel free to contact me with questions.

Cassandra Barnett
Program Advisor for School Libraries
Arkansas Department of Education