[CASL-L] Classics Criteria?

Jarrad McGlamery jarradmcglamery at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 15:57:45 PST 2017

Hello!

I am currently completing field work in a middle school library in which I am genrefying the fiction collection. I have a general understanding but I am curious if anyone has specific criteria on what makes a Classic? Does anybody know who, specifically, determines which books are considered classics? Also, are Classics only those that are previously labeled by the publisher as such, or do any of you decide a title is a classic on your own? And lastly, do you find that students are ever drawn to reading Classics on their own?

Thank you,
Jarrad