[CASL-L] Classics Criteria?

Williams, Linda Linda.Williams at ct.gov
Wed Feb 15 05:41:16 PST 2017

There is no hard and fast definition of "classic." I've looked at many lists of "classics" over my years as a librarian, and they are not always the same books. And if you look it up you'll find so many different definitions... it's really not something you can pin down!

In an interview on Talk of the Nation, Sonny Mehta, Knopf editor says:

"Well, there are probably as many definitions about what makes a classic I think as classics. Actually, I think it was Mark Twain who described it as a book, which people praise and don't read.

But the one I feel closest to is Clifton Fadiman's. And he said when you read a classic you do not see more in the book than you did before, you see more in you than there was before.|

Here's a link to that discussion that you can read or listen to:

   http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6519562

There's another article at The Guardian:

   https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/oct/20/enduring-love

"So what makes a classic? It can't just be that it's old. A classic must have something else, something that has either caused it to endure or has, in the case of modern classics, inspired the faith that it will do so. And while parts of any book may date, there must be something about a true classic that remains relevant to children and adults alike across the generations..." (read the rest online!)

And there's this article in The Atlantic, Italo Calvino's 14 Definitions of What Makes a Classic by Maria Popova (of Brain Pickings):

   https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/07/italo-calvinos-14-definitions-of-what-makes-a-classic/259529/

There's lots more out there - so good luck settling on something you can hang on to!

Linda

[CT_State_Library_Logo-02.png]

Linda Williams | Children's Services Consultant, Division of Library Development | Linda.Williams at ct.gov<mailto:Linda.Williams at ct.gov> | Office: (860) 704-2207
libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children<http://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children> | 786 S. Main St., Middletown, CT 06457 | Phone: (860) 704-2200 | Fax : (860) 704-2228