[CASL-L] YouTube for elementary. What's your strategy?

Matthews, Steve matthewss at mpsct.org
Mon Mar 20 07:44:51 PDT 2017

Good morning!

My opinion, I don't believe in completely cutting students off from YouTube
as they will be missing out on a valuable resource. Having said that,
teachers obviously will need to be prudent in vetting content. Having
students view videos in Classroom helps to cut out the distractions that
come with a typical YouTube page, as in the related videos and advertising.
Embedding a video in a Form also serves the same purpose. Of course,
students can still click on the "YouTube" button at the bottom of the video
and view the video in it's original YouTube page. This should lead to
conversations on digital citizenship and appropriate online class behavior.
The teacher should also engage in strategic monitoring of the class
screens.

Bottom line, students should have the opportunity to choose to do the right
thing, not have that be the only choice.

Steve Matthews
Instructional Technology Coach
<http://middletownitech.weebly.com/mpstechcoach.html>
Middletown Public Schools