[CASL-L] 9th grade - Evaluating Authority assessment (shared)

Rocca, Jennifer roccaj at brookfieldps.org
Thu Oct 5 12:00:32 PDT 2017

Hello all,

Here at Brookfield High School we created a Google Form to pre-assess
"evaluating authority" for high school freshman. We modeled our questions
on the types of things we saw in the "Evaluating Information" study
published by Stanford
<https://sheg.stanford.edu/upload/V3LessonPlans/Executive%20Summary%2011.21.16.pdf>
last year.

It's not perfect, but it has questions that ask students to:

   - distinguish advertisements from news content
   - evaluate a tweet for credibility
   - evaluate images on Flickr for authority
   - evaluate the authority of the authors on two different articles

It is essentially set to self grade - though students are asked to explain
their answers.

The assessment is in a Google Drive folder HERE
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0v2kZ7tPJrIb2pVOGdPNVRlRTQ?usp=sharing>.
You should be able to view the assessment and make a copy if you wish.

My goal in sharing it is:

   - to help make people's lives easier as we all decide what kinds of
   goals and assessments to use this year
   - to allow a broad range of schools to administer the same assessment so
   that we could consider doing some small-scale benchmarking to share data

If you do decide to use this assessment this year, I hope you'll consider
sharing your results. We'll strip off student-identifying data of course.

Fingers crossed that this will be useful to some of you. I would love to
work together and share what we find.
--

Jennifer Rocca
BHS Teacher Librarian