[CASL-L] FW: book recommenadtions

Nancy Carlson carlsonn at fpsct.org
Wed Sep 6 17:01:10 PDT 2017

I would second the thought of April Henry. My student really liked *The
Night She Disappeared*.
The other one I would suggest is *Ten* by Gretchen McNeil. I also agree
with the suggestion of
*One Of Us is Lying*.

Nancy M. Carlson
Farmington High School
Farmington, CT  06032
carlsonn at fpsct.org
FHS Library website www.fpsct.org/fhslibrary
Twitter @FHSbooklovers
Currently reading * Small Great Things *by Jodi Picoult
Currently listening to *Salt to the Sea by Ruth Sepetys*

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 6:43 PM, H Jordan <jordans28 at cox.net> wrote:

> These recommendations come from a well-read mystery reader. He is not an
> educator, but I think there are some interesting ideas.
>

>     Twelfth graders at middle school reading level?  I hope these
> suggestions aren't too challenging.  I was reading very adult mysteries
> (and other books) by this age.  Here's my best shot!
>

>     I suggest the following:   (* are my best picks)
>

> *Classic *
>
> *The Moonstone *by Wilkie Collins (lengthier, but clearly written)
>
> **The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes *by Arthur Conan Doyle (clear prose,
> occasional anachronisms)
>
> **The Hound of the Baskervilles *by Arthur Conan Doyle (ditto)
>
> *The Maltese Falcon *by Dashiell Hammett
>
> *Murder on the Orient Express *by Agatha Christie (about to be released
> as a new film)
>

> *Police Procedural*
>
> *The Black Echo *by Michael Connelly (the first in a long series)
>

> *Easy to Read*
>
> **The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches *by Alan Bradley (and the rest of the
> series, a precocious girl detective)
>

> *Diversity*
>
> **The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency *by Alexander McCall Smith
>
> *Devil in a Blue Dress *by Walter Mosley (Mature)
>

> *Private Eye*
>
> *A is for Alibi *by Sue Grafton (and the rest of the series, a female PI,
> B and C are even better)
>
> **The Promised Land *by Robert B. Parker, and the rest of the series
> about Spenser, good macho but sensitive politically correct reading)
>
> *The Big Sleep *by Raymond Chandler
>

> *Modern and Digital*
>
> *Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore* by Robin Sloan (a cyber mystery about
> the difference between digital and print books)
>

> *Graphic Novel (Mature)*
>
> *The Watchmen *by Alan Moore (who killed the superhero, The Comedian?)
>
> *Sin City *by Frank Miller (noir)
>

> Mysteriously yours,
>

> Andy Tranquilli
>
> Murder by the Book Mystery Book Group

The documents accompanying this fax or e-mail transmission, including any
attachments, are for the sole use of the intended recipients and MAY
contain confidential school, health or other information that is legally
privileged. The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from
disclosing this information to any other party unless required or permitted
to do so by law or regulation.

If you are NOT the intended recipient you are hereby notified that ANY
disclosure, copying, or further distribution of the contents of these
documents is prohibited. If you have received this information via
facsimile in error, please notify the sender immediately and arrange for
the return or destruction of these documents. If information is received
via e-mail and you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by e-mail immediately and delete/destroy both the original and the
reply e-mail message.