[CASL-L] High school research skills class

Jacquelyn Whiting jacquelynwhiting at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:06:33 PDT 2018

Excellent lessons in Google's Applied Digital Skills curriculum -- and lots
of ideas being shared about it this week since it is being showcased in
classrooms this week by Google and EdTechTeam.

https://applieddigitalskills.withgoogle.com/c/en/curriculum.html

(also, Google advanced search is like a database -- instead of just typing
a question in the omni bar)

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:45 AM Pam Begin <pbegin at milforded.org> wrote:

> lots of great lesson plans in common sense media
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:32 AM, Dawn Zillich <dzillich at spchs.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> My school’s English Department Head has asked me to collaborate in the
>> creation of five research skills lessons for freshmen. In the past I have
>> only taught one class a year that introduces freshmen to databases.
>>

>> Does anyone have resources (rubrics, lessons, handouts, etc.) they would
>> be willing to share? One of the major complaints I hear from teachers is
>> that students only “google” things and rely on the top results. I’ve been
>> asked to focus on keyword search development.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Dawn M. Zillich, librarian
>>
>> St. Paul Catholic High School
>>
>> "The old idea of the librarian as a sort of recluse closeted with his
>> books and
>>
>> interested only in them is the very antithesis of the modern librarian,
>> who
>>
>> must live with people equally with books, and who must also be keenly
>> aware
>>
>> of all that is going on in the world around him."
>>
>> ~Linda A. Eastman~ (Head Librarian of the Cleveland Public Library, 1918
>> to 1938)

> --
> Pamela Begin
> pbegin at milforded.org