[CASL-L] Fwd: Invitation to 4-8th graders to Code for Social Good with Random Hacks of Kindness Junior

Barbara Johnson bajohnson at colchesterct.org
Tue Aug 28 08:20:23 PDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Patrice Gans <reesegans at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 11:10 AM
Subject: Invitation to 4-8th graders to Code for Social Good with Random
Hacks of Kindness Junior
To: Barbara Johnson <bajohnson at colchesterct.org>

Dear Barbara,
I wanted to share this opportunity with you.  I run a nonprofit called
Random Hacks of Kindness Junior (rhokjr.org).  We run 8 hour "Hackathons".
 This is not your traditional hackathon where the objective is a finished
product.  No prior coding experience is required. The core mission of our
program is to expose 4-8th graders to kindness and social good through the
lens of technology. We are more interested in the creation of technology,
specifically the ideation and design process as it applies to a local
community nonprofit.  We also focus on the soft skills of collaboration and
cooperation.  During the program the students work in groups of 3-4 where
they are paired up with computer science mentors and community nonprofits
to create prototype (sample) smartphone apps for the nonprofits.

We have a program coming up in New London at Mitchell College on Saturday,
October 6.  I have attached a flyer about the program.   I would be
grateful if you would share this information with your school/students.
Please let me know if you require the permission of the superintendent to
distribute the flyer. Please let me know if you have any questions.

We also are always looking for mentors.  High school students and teachers
who are familiar with MIT App Inventor are invited to participate.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Patrice

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_U77lM0uvBDTWOy9qD5KwenepaMsnvKLSPUnMC1KGL4/edit?usp=sharing
*Patrice Gans, Founder, Executive Director*
*Random Hacks of Kindness Junior Inc.*
*@RHoKJr*
*www.rhokjr.org <http://www.rhokjr.org>*

--
Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in transmission
or misdirected. Please communicate sensitive information by telephone or in