[CASL-L] Posting question

STEPHANIE PATTERSON spatterson at southingtonschools.org
Sun Jan 28 10:22:55 PST 2018

I think there’s a significant gap between what is politely permissible and what is not. I see this as fluid shaky ground and there are plenty of opinions.

If a request is made to take something down that was shared without permission, it ought to be granted. Conversely, given the Wild West nature of the online world, we implicitly assume the risk that it will be shared with a wider audience because that is the territory.

If the recipient will not honor the request as completely as the sender wishes in hindsight, perhaps it is a cautionary tale to clearly label your post with share parameters. However, one has to wonder why the change of heart for sender and half-hearted compliance for the recipient and that is usually associated with financial gain or concern for reputation.

Where to go from there? Hire a lawyer? Not practical for many. Play nice to cajole the recipient to take it down? But isn’t it out there forever in some form anyway? Or post on blogs with independent moderators? Or be more cautious about what you post? Stop posting there? Stop posting altogether? Make a bigger deal about it? Let it fade away?

Sometimes the internet just isn’t the best forum...

Sent from my iPhone