[CASL-L] Fwd: Adoption of ISTE Standards for Connecticut

Barbara Johnson bajohnson at colchesterct.org
Wed Jun 6 09:56:59 PDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Barbara J <barbaraj at cecact.org>
Date: Wed, Jun 6, 2018, 12:56 PM
Subject: Fwd: Adoption of ISTE Standards for Connecticut
To: Barbara Johnson <bajohnson at colchesterct.org>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Casey, Doug <Doug.Casey at ct.gov>
Date: Wed, Jun 6, 2018, 12:54 PM
Subject: Adoption of ISTE Standards for Connecticut
To: <CET_K-12_EDTECH at list.ct.gov>

Good afternoon,

Earlier today, the ISTE Standards for Students
<https://www.iste.org/standards/for-students> became the official digital
learning standards for Connecticut, by unanimous vote of our State Board of
Education. This move follows the endorsement by the Connecticut Commission
for Educational Technology of the Standards in September 2016 and
represents nearly two years of advocacy and public input gathering to
support official adoption of the Standards. We thank our partners at the
State Department of Education, members of the Commission's Digital Learning
Advisory Council, CECA, the ISTE Standards team, and many others who have
actively supported adoption of the Standards.

Now the important work begins of supporting real adoption in the classroom,
ensuring that students gain the competencies defined by ISTE. To that end,
the Commission offers a number of resources starting today as part of an
ongoing campaign to support digital learning:

·         ISTE Standards for Students
<https://www.iste.org/standards/for-students>: The interactive version
provides both high-level and indicator-level definitions of the Standards.
The attached PDF provides a print-friendly version.

·         ISTE Standards for Students — Practical Guide for Learning with
Technology
<https://www.iste.org/resources/product?ID=4073&ChildProduct=4074>: This
electronic book (free for ISTE members) provides detailed descriptions of
the Standards, scenarios describing authentic learning activities, skills
by age band, a crosswalk comparing the 2007 to the Standards, and a
technology skills "scope and sequence" guide.

·         Educator <https://www.iste.org/standards/for-educators> and
Administrator Standards(Coming Soon): Leverage these as best practices for
teachers and district leaders, and as a foundation for supporting the
Student Standards.

·         Connecticut Community of Practice: We encourage educators to get
involved and start sharing their own digital learning materials, lesson
plans, and experiences today via social media using the hashtag #*ISTEinCT*.

·         National Communities of Practice and Resources: Educators and
leaders should consider joining ISTE
<https://www.iste.org/membership/become-a-member> and state affiliate CECA
<http://www.cecact.org> to take advantage of the many professional learning
opportunities and networks that these organizations provide. From blogs
<https://www.iste.org/explore>, books
<https://www.iste.org/resources/searchresults?mediaType=book>, and journals
<https://www.iste.org/learn/edtech-research> to professional learning
networks by topic <https://www.iste.org/learn/about-iste-plns>, ISTE has a
wealth of practical and inspiring resources to support digital learning.

Starting later this summer, the Commission and its partners will provide
additional resources and learning opportunities, including the following:

·         Monthly Spotlight on a Standard: Starting in September with the
Empowered Learner Standard, we will highlight a standard of the month with
accompanying resources and best practices.

·         Policy: In partnership with CABE, we will be releasing guidance
on how to support digital learning at the Board policy level.

·         Teacher Certification
<https://www.iste.org/learn/iste-certification>: Starting this summer,
teachers may pursue professional certification in the ISTE Standards for
Educators. The Commission is working with ISTE and Connecticut's
institutions of higher education to support the training and assessment
that accompany this program.

Last but certainly not least, we encourage you to join the standards
conversation in person at the CECA - CASL 2018 Conference, October 21 - 22
at Foxwoods. For details and registration, visit www.CECACT.org
<https://sites.google.com/cecact.org/conference>.

Regards,

Doug