[CASL-L] Leveling books in a middle school library

Bev Bjorklund bjorklundb at newtown.k12.ct.us
Tue May 1 07:41:50 PDT 2018

The leveling of books is the antithesis to the concept of a library. My
experience over the past 18 years as an elementary school LMS is that
children develop into discerning users. Many will come to check out books
that may be above their instructional reading level but in time they figure
out what they can read and move to becoming more selective.
We need to be more trusting in children’s ability to select appropriate
books and support them in their choices.
That said, I do advise students about alternatives to books I believe may
be too difficult. For example, showing 2nd graders The Dragon Slayer’s
Academy series when they want to read a Harry Potter book has met with
great success.
Good Luck!!

Sent from my iPhone

On May 1, 2018, at 8:44 AM, Musket, Kimberly <kmusket at wallingfordschools.org>