[CASL-L] Leveling books in a middle school library

Valerie Grabek valgrabek at gmail.com
Tue May 1 09:57:38 PDT 2018

Hi Michele,
 There has been a lot of discussion of that in my building as well. I've
fought not to had have the books labeled for the same concerns you've
stated.  Especially with the way students tend to act toward one another
where reading is concerned (in my building.)

To keep the teachers happy, I make sure that the Marc record has the lexile
in it.  I have also kept a spreadsheet of books,  by call number,and have
printed out versions handy for teachers and students who are looking within
a particular range.  Destiny has a bibliography function that provides a
tiny blurb of the book. This way they can see books that they're supposed
to be leveled at, but also reach for higher levels.

Hope this helps!

Take care,
Valerie Grabek, MSLIS
Windham Middle School