[CASL-L] HS Library Computer Lab - 1-to-1 Chromebooks

Rocca, Jennifer Roccaj at brookfieldps.org
Tue Apr 30 07:56:09 PDT 2019

We are a 1:1 high school of about 900 students. We still have a couple of
computer labs in the building that get regular use (but they are decaying
as the computers age). I still have a lab in the library with 30 computers
and it was recently upgraded so the computers are fairly new. We have a few
online textbooks with interactive elements that don't work on chromebooks.
The science uses a number of computer simulations from PHET that will not
run on chromebooks. When students are taking a typed assessment, the
teachers like to use the lab because it is easier to monitor all of the
screens and students can print more easily.

Our lab gets a bit less use since going 1:1 eight years ago but, even now,
teachers still sometimes jockey for lab space and our existing labs get
regular use.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 8:21 AM Michele Eligio <
meligio at northbranfordschools.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I know this question has been addressed multiple times; however, I would
> appreciate an up to the minute snapshot of what everyone currently has in
> their districts with respect to retaining a library computer lab with a
> 1-to-1 Chromebook initiative.
>
> We are a new 1-to-1 Chromebook school. We have many computer labs that the
> district is contemplating closing and most likely re-purposing to learning
> lab centers. The district technology director recently asked me to begin
> considering dismantling the computer lab in the library - 32 hardwired
> computers.
>
> I have some reservation as the lab is periodically used for testing, for
> student printing, etc... Plus, if the district is already considering the
> possibility of utilizing one or more of its labs to designate them as
> learning centers, I think this would be a natural fit for our library
> learning commons model to have such a center here. However, I am not sure
> we would need all 32 computers. I also don't know if because we are new to
> the 1-to-1 Chromebook initiative, if as time passes, we will find that the
> hard wired computers are used less and less.
>
> Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if those of you at the HS level
> who have had 1-to-1 programs in your districts for a while would share your
> insight on this issue.
>
> --
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Michele Eligio
>
> North Branford High School Librarian
>
> 49 Caputo Road
>
> North Branford, CT  06471
>
> (203) 484-1465
>
>  *“Libraries store the energy that fuels the imagination. They open up
> windows to the world and inspire us to explore and achieve, and contribute
> to improving our quality of life. Libraries change lives for the better.”
> ~Sidney Sheldon*
>

> The information in this transmission is privileged and confidential and
> intended only for the recipient(s) listed above. If you have received this
> transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or email
> and delete the original message and any attachments. Any review or use of
> the information contained in this email message by persons other than the
> intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please notify the North Branford Public Schools immediately by telephone or
> email and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

Jennifer Rocca
BHS Teacher Librarian
203-775-7725 x-7775

"We are a learning community committed to fostering intellect, respect, and
integrity."