[CASL-L] Engineering

Leslie Redmond leslie.r719 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 18:30:09 PST 2019

I've been doing "Novel Engineering" with 5th grade for a few years now. I
love using "Piece of Cake" by Le Uyen Pham. I've had the students design
something to help the squirrel get his acorns into the hole in the tree
efficiently.  They have come up with : escalator, sticky fishing pole,
pulleys, trampoline, rubber hose with a balloon stretched over the end, a
climbing wall, and a catapult.
It's a great book for engineering because the characters in the book don't
solve their problems in ways you would have predicted.
This year I'm trying "Iggy Peck, Architect." by Andrea Beatty. The students
are building something to be used to rescue the teacher from the island.
We are still in the building and testing phase but we have a sailboat, a
zipline, a hang glider, a slingshot, and stilts!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps.
Leslie Redmond