[CASL-L] Fwd: Legislative Action Alert!

CASL President president at ctcasl.org
Wed Feb 27 13:30:13 PST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: CT Library Association <editor at ctlibraryassociation.org>
Date: Wed, Feb 27, 2019, 4:21 PM
Subject: Legislative Action Alert!
To: <president at ctcasl.org>

[image: Connecticut Library Association]
Connecticut Library Association

Dear CLA Members,
The Governor's budget is out. The good news is that funding for the State
Library was not cut. However, we have sustained cuts over the past few
years, and we need to keep our message of support for Connecticut libraries
strong, and to even focus on our message of RESTORING funding levels in key
areas.
Here's how you can help:

The Appropriations Subcommittee for Elementary and Secondary Education (the
subcommittee that oversees/recommends library appropriations in the CT
budget) will be holding public hearings on Wednesday, March 6 beginning at
4:00pm, Room 2C of the Legislative Office Building. There are 4 ways you
can advocate for libraries:

   1. IF YOUR LIBRARY OR YOU PERSONALLY are represented by one of these
   legislators on the Education Subcommittee (Senate Dems Abrams (Chair),
   Flexer, Kushner; Senate Republicans Somers; House Dems Rosario (Chair),
   Abercrombie, Candelaria, Currey, Gibson, Johnson, Porter, Simms; House
   Republicans McCarty, Kokaruda, Cade, Bolinsky, Hall, Lavielle) please
   contact them NOW. *Complete contact info is in the link below*. Explain
   why it is important to support libraries. Use the CLA Legislative Agenda
   <https://ctlibraryassociation.starchapter.com/downloads/Advocacy/cla_legislative_agenda_2019.pdf>
and
   CLC information <https://www.ctlibrarians.org/page/AdvocacyToolkit> for
   talking points. Use specific, moving examples from your own library and/or
   your own life.
   Elementary & Secondary Education Subcommittee Members with contact info
   <http://bit.ly/2tGqYSE>
   Find your legislator & contact info
   <https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/cgafindleg.asp>
   2. Submit official written testimony to the subcommittee, which will
   become part of the public record. Testimony should be in a Word or PDF
   document and emailed to apptestimony at cga.ct.gov. Please reference the
   hearing date, March 6. Your testimony can cover all of CLA's talking
   points, or just ones of particular meaning to you. Note that your document
   will be posted online
   <https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocList.asp?comm_code=app&doc_type=tmy>
   .
   3. If you are a strong advocate for libraries and are comfortable
   testifying, please join us March 6 to make your voice heard. Contact CLA at
   cla at ctlibrarians.org to be added to the list. Be advised that your turn
   may be any time from 4:00pm until late at night; the order is determined by
   lottery that day. Prepare your remarks in advance and limit them to 3
   minutes. Here are some tips.
   <http://www.ctn.state.ct.us/civics/Making%20Your%20Voice%20Heard.asp>
   4. Not up for testifying? Attend the public hearing to show your support.

Many thanks,
CLA Legislative Committee

This email was sent to president at ctcasl.org by CT Library Association
of Connecticut Library Association
234 Court St. Middletown, CT 06457
ctlibraryassociation.org | Unsubscribe from Email Notifications
<http://ctlibraryassociation.org/unsubm.php?email=president@ctcasl.org>
Policy <http://ctlibraryassociation.org/privacy.php>