[CASL-L] Regarding upsetting news information shared with our youngest learners

Porier, Anne aporier at wallingfordschools.org
Sat May 25 13:37:55 PDT 2019

Dear CASL Community,

I am interested in gaining your thoughtful perspective on a parent concern,
that had caught my attention as well. There are two issues:
First, how to present the inspirational figure Malala Yousafzai to primary
aged students (gr. K-2) without causing fear or creating trauma from
discussion of her story.
Second, for users of PebbleGo, do you think this statement is problematic
in a database aimed at K-3 students:
"A gunman shot her in the head while riding the school bus."
I see that it is written as a statement of fact, however, is this a fact
that needs to be stated for an audience of this age, our youngest in this
group 4-5 years old? Would it be preferable to say something like, "Men
from this extreme group tried to hurt her, but could not stop her."?

Please share your thoughts!

Thank you,
Anne

Anne Porier