[CASL-L] An online 3-D printing course by CT Maker extraordinaire, Vladimir Mariano

Bill Derry billderry at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 09:30:52 PDT 2020

For Makerspace/STEAM program coordinators,

With all that you have on your plates this information is only a priority for Public Librarians and LMSs (in middle and high schools) with a functioning MAKERSPACE/STEAM program that includes 3-D printing (OR those that wish to expand virtual services in those areas).

I met Vladimir Mariano while working at the Westport Library. He was a great source of high quality instruction in our MakerSpace at the Westport Library between 2012 and 2015. He is co-founder and president of the Fairfield County Makers’ Guild, an independent makerspace in Norwalk, CT and founder of Desktop Makes. He teaches design and 3D printing at the Norwalk Community College and is also the Makerspace Supervisor at the college.

He has recently developed an excellent online course, Designing for 3D Printing with Fusion 360. Vladimir is working to get the software Fusion 360 (free for students and educators) approved through the CT Educational Software Hub.  IF you have a MAKERSPACE/STEAM program that includes 3-D printing, you may want to look at his program as a possible way to provide some amazing programming. Recently a school system in NJ used his course to maintain the 3-D printing portion of their STEAM program and it was extremely successful during the pandemic.

There is a free tutorial available to all and more information here: https://courses.desktopmakes.com/p/school-license-2 <https://courses.desktopmakes.com/p/school-license-2>

Vladimir may be reached at: vladimir at desktopmakes.com <mailto:vladimir at desktopmakes.com>

I hope that some of you are able to benefit from his course!

Bill Derry
Consultant - Schools and Libraries
billderry at gmail.com