[CASL-L] Library on a Cart

Cathy Andronik cathyandronik at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 07:53:24 PDT 2020

 You don't say what grade level you are, but I'm guessing elementary.  I did book exchange with a book cart quite a few years ago (before automated circ!!!!) during a construction project.  With a scanner and a Chromebook, circ would be so much easier!  Beforehand I touched base with the class(es) about what sorts of books they'd like to see, such as more nonfiction if we'd been talking about animal books back when the library was open, etc.  If you're doing lessons in the classroom, just put them on your Google Drive and use the teacher's computer and projector--and wipe down afterwards, VERY carefully.  I did something similar in a high school, too, also during a construction project; and when I invited myself into a classroom for a lesson I sometimes came with a bookcart.  I don't know if your library has a fixed or flex schedule--but this might be the perfect time to show how beneficial a flex schedule can be!  Talk with the day's teachers and arrive with materials and/or a database lesson covering the most recent classroom project.  If you're not already in a collaborative mindset at your school, you will be after a few weeks of this!!  At the elementary school we came out the other end of the construction project MUCH more receptive to collaboration and flexible library visits.
Just saying, though, the idea of a cart going from closed classroom environment to closed classroom environments without wipedowns in between disturbs me right now.  I know they say the virus doesn't live on paper/book surfaces long, but anyone who works in a school knows:  sickness travels like wildfire.
Cathy AndronikBrien McMahon HS (Retired)