[CASL-L] Library on a Cart

Elizabeth Mueller ehjmueller at alum.vassar.edu
Fri Jul 10 16:40:08 PDT 2020

Hi Katie:
My 2 cents...
I had 17 library classes per week for 6 months on a cart while my school’s library was renovated so I know it’s entirely do-able. 😎

A few considerations:
Are your classes back-to back?
Do you have a remote scanner, tablet, etc.  for check-outs as you travel to each classroom?
Will you pre-select titles for each class? How will you organize selections?
Will you distribute in sealed bags?
Will you have a container for gloves, sanitizer, masks, etc.?
Will kids pre-select titles prior to your class meeting using your school’s OPAC?
Do you have a plan for returns? (will students’ returns be put on your cart or returned in another location?)
Does your lms account  include ebook digital “backpacks”?
Will you have a binder with printouts of student/ patron barcodes by class/cohort?

I recommend a metal cart; wooden carts tend to be cumbersome. Try to find a cart with a real handle and
customize it if you’re able!

Good luck,
 Libby