[CASL-L] Safeguarding a Google Meet

Celeste Estevez cestevez at tolland.k12.ct.us
Thu Sep 17 05:36:31 PDT 2020

In the spring I followed the same procedure described by Jane and didn’t have any difficulties. We were being required to use the persistent meet link which really creates the problems described.
Updates to Meet are in the works and I think they are released on a district by district basis, not all at once.

Here’s a link to the Google blog which was posted 3 days ago:

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2020/09/meet-participan.html?m=1

Hang in there everyone!

Celeste

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 17, 2020, at 7:26 AM, Jane Martellino <janemartellino at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Last spring I tested it every which way and for us, the only safe way was for the teacher to create a link in calendar and since we use iPads, to give students the letters that follow: meet.google.com/
> The students use the Meet app and enter those letters and the teacher admits them. We found using the link through Glassroom allowed students to get in prior to teacher.  Perhaps things have changed since google made some updates. We also found recently that a teacher used a generic word for a “nickname” and another teacher just happened to use the same nickname and she accidentally popped into someone’s class!
>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 9:32 PM Jaclyn Deloma <jdeloma at milforded.org> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone!
>>
>> Our school is having some difficulty with kids accessing Google meetings either prior to the official start of one or after the meeting has ended.  I found the attached video that describes how utilizing a nickname prevents this situation from happening while also continuing to have host controls of participants' Google Meet functions.  However, a teacher stated one of her students was able to still access the Meet without her present.  Does anyone know of any other ways or features in Meets that will help with this?
>>
>> Google Meet Host Control
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Jackie
>>

>> --
>> Jackie DeLoma
>> Teacher Librarian
>> Foran High School
>> Milford Public Schools
>> jdeloma at milforded.org
>> (203)-783-3502 (x-2320)

> --
> Jane E. Martellino
> Twitter: @janemartellino
> Creator of Charter Oak Children's Book Award: www.cocba.org

The documents accompanying this fax or e-mail transmission,
including any attachments, are for the sole use of the intended recipients
and MAY contain confidential health or other information that is legally
privileged.  The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited
from disclosing this information to any other party unless required to do
so by law or regulation and is required to destroy the information after
its stated need has been fulfilled.

If you are NOT the intended recipient
you are hereby notified that ANY disclosure, copying, distribution or
action taken in reliance on the contents of these documents is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this information via facsimile in error,
please notify the sender immediately and arrange for the return or
destruction of these documents. If information is received via e-mail and
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by e-mail
immediately and delete/destroy both the original and the reply e-mail
message.