[CASL-L] Safeguarding a Google Meet

Jane Martellino janemartellino at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 04:25:53 PDT 2020

Last spring I tested it every which way and for us, the only safe way was
for the teacher to create a link in calendar and since we use iPads, to
give students the letters that follow: meet.google.com/
The students use the Meet app and enter those letters and the teacher
admits them. We found using the link through Glassroom allowed students to
get in prior to teacher.  Perhaps things have changed since google made
some updates. We also found recently that a teacher used a generic word for
a “nickname” and another teacher just happened to use the same nickname and
she accidentally popped into someone’s class!

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 9:32 PM Jaclyn Deloma <jdeloma at milforded.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone!
>
> Our school is having some difficulty with kids accessing Google meetings
> either prior to the official start of one or after the meeting has ended.
> I found the attached video that describes how utilizing a nickname prevents
> this situation from happening while also continuing to have host controls
> of participants' Google Meet functions.  However, a teacher stated one of
> her students was able to still access the Meet without her present.  Does
> anyone know of any other ways or features in Meets that will help with this?
>
> Google Meet Host Control <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylx_DR0CRGM>
>
> Thank you!
> Jackie
>

> --