[CASL-L] Articles addressing Dr. Seuss

Barbara Johnson bajohnson at colchesterct.org
Thu Mar 4 06:28:36 PST 2021

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-dr-seuss-connecticut-libraries-20210304-ym6rek5vpndwbeqxmkvzzfzo6u-story.html

Yesterday, I was able to speak to Eliza from the Hartford Courant about
CT's School Librarian's position on the work of Dr. Seuss...

I was also able to find an article by the American Association of School
Librarian's President Kathy Carroll, which also provided guidance to school
libraries.
https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=six-dr-seuss-titles-hurtful-and-wrong-taken-out-of-print-read-across-america-day

And a few older articles to show this isn't a new discussion:
https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=new-study-published-on-racism-and-dr-seuss
https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=cat-hat-racist-read-across-america-shifts-away-dr-seuss-toward-diverse-books

I hope this helps and provides some guidance for book selection in your own
libraries!

*Barbara Johnson*
*Librarian*
Jack Jackter Intermediate School

@technojohnson
www.jackjackterlibrary.com

--
Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in transmission
or misdirected. Please communicate sensitive information by telephone or in