[CASL-L] recommendations for impactful, high-interest YA and intermediate titles

Cathy Andronik cathyandronik at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 09:54:57 PST 2021

 There are all fairly new (since spring 2020).  There are SO many more:
The Gilded Ones by Namina Forna.  Fantasy, diverse characters, theme of finding your power
A Song below Water by Bethany Morrow.  fantasy, finding your voice, privilege culture
Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston.  fantasy, diverse characters, described as Artemis Fowl meets Percy Jackson
Sanctuary by Paola Mendoza and Abby Sher.  Future US sci-fi, identity chips, undocumented aliens
Punching the Air by Yusef Salaam and Ibi Zoboi.  In verse, a boy wrongfully imprisoned discovers art and poetry
Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo.  In verse.  Two girls, one in NYC and the other in the Dominican Republic, discover they are sisters when their father dies.  The Poet X and With the Fire on High by the same author are also excellent.
The New Kid by Jerry Craft.  sequel: Class Act.  Graphic novels, Connecticut-based author/illustrator.
ANY of Jason Reynolds's books.
Furia by Yamile Saied Mendez.  A girl in an Argentinian barrio dreams of becoming a soccer star.
Merci Suarez Changes Gears and Merci Suarez Can't Dance by Meg Mendoza.  6th grade and then 7th grade through the eyes of a Hispanic girl in a private school.
This Is My America by Kim Johnson.  A (Black) girl has been writing letters to a justice organization to get her father off Death Row.  Now her brother is accused of killing a white girl.  And the town has things to hide about its racist past.
>From the Desk of Zoe Washington by Janae Marks.  Similar to the above book (without the murder) for a younger audience.
ANY of Nic Stone's books--Dear Martin for older readers, Clean Getaway for middle school.
ANY of Renee Watson's books.
ANY of Sharon Flake's books.
Muted by Tami Charles.  A talented young musician is swept away by an R. Kelly-type situation.  (Similar to Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson, but Grown is DEFINITELY grade 10 and up)
A Phoenix First Must Burn--short story collection featuring Black Girl Magic.
You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson.  Against all her school's stereotypes, a queer Black girl runs for homecoming queen.  FUNNY!
Black Brother, Black Brother by Jewell Parker Rhodes (her other books are also recommended).  Biracial brothers, one of whom has white features, the other black; a bully; and the sport of fencing.

Enjoy!!!!
Cathy AndronikBrien McMahon HS (Retired)Now the Bureau of Education & Research

    On Friday, 12 March 2021, 12:29:50 pm GMT-5, Pellegrino, Janice <pellegrino at stratk12.org> wrote:

 Hello all!
I hope you're holding up well during this crazy year.
I'm requesting recommendations. A friend works for an inner-city non-profit that teaches kids a sport while providing them with academic assistance as well. The kids usually enter the program in grades 5-7 and stay with them through graduation. They also focus on building skills in communication, leadership, goal setting, and attitude.
She's looking to put together a reading recommendations list of titles that are high-interest but not preachy. Books that would be impactful but not necessarily "topic" books. She mentioned a desire to include authors of color, especially newer authors who might not already have a large following. Many of her students read below grade level but she's not looking to simply create a "reluctant reader" list, but rather to create a list of (intermediate and YA) books that kids will be really excited to read and which will help them grow as people. She mentioned Concrete Rose and Another Brooklyn as examples of books she's considering.
I would appreciate any recommendations you'd be willing to share.
Thank you so much!
- Janice
--
Ms. Janice Pellegrino, M.P., M.L.S.Teacher LibrarianFrank Scott Bunnell High SchoolStratford, CT 06614203-385-4250 x3491_______________________________________________