[CASL-L] recommendations for impactful, high-interest YA and intermediate titles

Pellegrino, Janice pellegrino at stratk12.org
Fri Mar 12 09:29:29 PST 2021

Hello all!

I hope you're holding up well during this crazy year.

I'm requesting recommendations. A friend works for an inner-city non-profit
that teaches kids a sport while providing them with academic assistance as
well. The kids usually enter the program in grades 5-7 and stay with them
through graduation. They also focus on building skills in communication,
leadership, goal setting, and attitude.

She's looking to put together a reading recommendations list of titles that
are high-interest but not preachy. Books that would be impactful but not
necessarily "topic" books. She mentioned a desire to include authors of
color, especially newer authors who might not already have a large
following. Many of her students read below grade level but she's not
looking to simply create a "reluctant reader" list, but rather to create a
list of (intermediate and YA) books that kids will be really excited to
read and which will help them grow as people. She mentioned Concrete Rose
and Another Brooklyn as examples of books she's considering.

I would appreciate any recommendations you'd be willing to share.

Thank you so much!

- Janice

--
*Ms. Janice Pellegrino, M.P., M.L.S.*