[CASL-L] Principal's reading challenge suggestions/Nutmegs

Cheryl Robertson robertsonc at guilfordschools.org
Mon Nov 15 13:35:06 PST 2021

Hi Kim,
I echo your sentiments about the Nutmeg committee; I hope they feel the
love!  At my school, we do Robertson's Rockin' Readers (RRR).  It's based
on a program my Guilford colleague Pamela Dear started.  I encourage all
students, faculty, and staff to read 30 books in 30 weeks.  Of course, you
could make that challenge anything you wish.  Keeping track is super easy.
I made a RRR Google Classroom, so any interested people simply join.
There's a Google Sheet under "Classwork" where everyone keeps track of
their reading.  It's on the honor system, and books 250+ pages count
twice.  Every once in a while, I jump onto their spreadsheets and provide
shout-outs, encouragement, etc.  At the end of the program, we celebrate
with certificates, cupcakes, prizes, and a little ceremony.  It's a lot of
fun.  I hope that helps!
Best,
Cheryl

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 3:10 PM Musket, Kimberly <
kmusket at wallingfordschools.org> wrote:

> Hello-
> Two things:
> 1. My principal said he would like to do a reading challenge for our
> students and staff (Yay!).
>
> Has anyone done this with their students? We are a middle school. He
> wanted to come up with something somewhat out of the ordinary. Does anyone
> have any suggestions for challenges that can incorporate all students and
> staff members and will be able to involve all students?
>
> We talked about having a reading log of some sort (I don't really agree
> with this). We thought maybe a calendar sheet where they just write in an
> amount of time they read each day or check off an amount of time. We were
> thinking to go by time instead of a number of books so it can allow all
> students to participate even if they are not quick readers.
>
> 2. Every year, I try to read all of the Nutmeg Nominees for intermediate
> and middle school. I'm on the last book of those 20. I must say that these
> two lists might be my favorites over the years. I've really enjoyed all of
> the books. I just finished "Planet Earth is Blue" and I loved it! I also
> needed many tissues. I just wanted to share that and say thank you to the
> committees.
>
> Thank you!
> Kim
>

> Kim Musket
> School Librarian
> James H. Moran, Sr. Middle School
>
> Currently reading:
> *Yusef Azeem is Not a Hero *by Saadia Faruqi
>
> Current listening to:
> *Sal and Gabi Break the Universe *by Carlos Hernandez
>
> Recently finished:
> *Planet Earth is Blue *by Nicole Pantelleakos
> *Cog *by Greg Van Eekhout
> *Out of My Mind *by Sharon Draper
> *Quidditch Through the Ages *by J.K. Rowling and illustrated by Emily
> Gravett
> *Fire from the Rock *by Sharon Draper
> Wink by Rob Harrell
> *Pet *by Akwaeke Emezi
> *Marcus Vega Doesn't Speak Spanish *by Pablo Cartaya
> *You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P! *by Alex Gino
> *Genesis Begins Again *by Alicia D. Williams
> *Emmy in the Key of Code *by Aimee Lucido
> *The Shattered Castle *by Jennifer A. Nielsen
> *The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise *by Dan Gemeinhart
> *Good Enough *by Jen Petro-Roy

*Cheryl A. Robertson*
*Teacher Librarian, E.C. Adams Middle School*
*Click here for homepage
<http://ams.guilfordschools.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=232991&type=d>*

*"Reading should not be presented to children as a chore, a duty.  It
should be offered as a gift." ~Kate DiCamillo*

*CURRENTLY READING*
*Agatha Arch Is Afraid of Everything* by Kristin Bair

*CURRENTLY LISTENING*
*Front Desk* by Kelly Yang

*RECENTLY FINISHED*
*Five Total Strangers* by Natalie D. Richards
*Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus *by Dusti Bowling
*I'll Be the One* by Lyla Lee
*The Cousins* by Karen McManus
*Eggs *by Jerry Spinelli
*The Disappearing Earth* by Julia Phillips
*One Two Three* by Laurie Frankel
*Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky* by Kwame Mabalia
*Concrete Rose *by Angie Thomas
*Troubled Blood* by Robert Galbraith

CONFIDENTIAL: This email and any files transmitted with it may contain
information that is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Be advised that
forwarding,
saving, printing, copying, or taking any action on the contents
of this message
may be prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the
original sender and delete the message and any
attachments from your computer.
Messages to or from the Guilford Public
Schools may be subject to the Freedom
of Information Act (Conn. Gen. Stat.